Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries
Building the capacity of Houston’s social service safety net
Rockwell Fund is proud to partner with the Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries, Inc. (ACAM), a member services organization committed to advancing high-impact collaboration, service excellence and organizational development among Community Assistance Ministries (CAMs) in the Greater Houston area. ACAM envisions a community supported by a network of faith-based collaborative ministries that provide opportunities for families and individuals to meet and rise above their basic needs.
Established as a pilot project in 2004 by a collaboration of local nonprofits led by Rockwell Fund, the Houston Endowment, and the United Way of Greater Houston, the ACAM concept was a response to research findings indicating capacity building activities could help CAMs be more effective and accomplish more in their communities. Today, ACAM is an independent 501(c)(3) serving 12 member CAMs through:
- Collaborating to create higher impact outcomes and to provide access to diverse resources
- Training and networking to develop best practices, provide mutual support and increase their knowledge bases
- Setting the standard of ministry service to ensure excellence within the industry
- Advancing the position of each member in the network and the collaborative as a whole through advocacy and outreach
- Expanding the reach of programs to increase the impact of the network
- Developing relationships with funders, members and community partners in order to ensure long-term sustainability
Since 2004, ACAM has issued 313 grants valued at more than $5.8 million to 28 area ministries.
The ACAM Network proved to be invaluable in the aftermath of Harvey. Ministries were quick to respond and help provide emergency supplies, disaster case management, and critical services such as housing and relocation assistance, job search and placement, and financial aid. Collectively, the ACAM Network raised $10 million for relief and recovery services and helped over 100,000 people.
770 S. POST OAK LANE, SUITE 525, HOUSTON, TX 77056